Lawrence Nwimo, Awka
Security forces in Anambra State have neutralised an arm robbery and kidnap gang terrorising communities and causing pain on innocent citizens in the state, Ikengaonline reports.
The gang of Kidnappers had hitherto terrorised residents along the Nkpor-Umuoji-Ideani road in the state.
The gang was said to have been confronted on Sunday by security operatives in the state, after several complaints were made to the state governor, Prof Chukwuma Soludo, about the condition of the area.
The gunmen, in a black Lexus ZBL 237PF, engaged security forces in a heated gun duel leading to the death of two of the gang member while two others reportedly escaped by the whiskers.
Confirming the incident, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Anambra State Command, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the operation followed a credible information to the Police by residents of the area.
Ikenga said: “Following so much credible information to the Police Command from the residents of Anambra, there are so many joint operations ongoing with the security forces especially the vigilantes aimed at sustaining and enhancing safety in the State.
“These joint operations yielded a major positive development on 7/5/2023 by 8:45 pm, the operatives while on routine patrol along Umusiome Nkpor, Idemili North LGA intercepted a Gang of Four operating in an unregistered black Lexus SUV, recovered two locally made explosives, one Ak47 rifle, nine live 7.62 ammunition, four Ak47 magazines, Charms and other incriminating items.
“The operatives during the gun duel with the criminals demobilised two of the gang members, while two others escaped. Efforts are already emplaced to arrest other fleeing gang members.
“Also earlier on the same date by 4pm, the Operatives at Azu Ogbunike Oyi LGA arrested another gang of armed robbery/vandals in the act, vandalising a truck suspected to have been stolen.
“The suspects are one Nwusulor Fidelis ‘m’ aged 51years, Iloegunam Amobi ‘m’ aged 44years, Solomon Akpagu ‘m’ aged 51years and Chidiebere Innocent ‘m’ aged 28years. They all confessed to the crime and they are currently helping the police with information on other syndicate members that dispossess innocent drivers of their trucks before bringing them to their criminal hideout at Azu Ogbunike.”
Meanwhile, the Chief press secretary to the governor, Mr Christian Aburime, disclosed that the killing of the suspects was in line with governor Soludo’s mandate to security operatives, including the police and local vigilante to dislodge the suspects.
Aburime said Soludo gave security Forces mandate to rid the state of all criminal elements. He said those arrested are currently cooling off in detention and are helping the Security Agencies in their investigation to unravel the whereabouts of other kidnappers who are on the run.
He said the governor has warned criminals operating in those axis of Nkpor-Umuoji-Ideani to desist henceforth or be ready to meet their watertloo from the Security forces who he said have taken over the axis to protect and safeguard the citizens.