Author: Editor
Ike Nnachi, Abakaliki The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has approved the appointment of Francis Nwaze as Senior Special Assistant on Media, with immediate effect. Mr. Nwaze brings extensive experience in public communication and media relations to the role. He previously served as Special Assistant to the Ebonyi State Governor on Media (Spokesperson) from 2019 to 2023, and earlier worked as Technical Assistant on Media between 2017 and 2019. He holds a Diploma in Journalism, as well as Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University and Ebonyi State University. The minister said he has strong confidence in Mr.…
Stephen Ukandu, Umuahia Governor Alex Otti will on February 25 formally flag off the construction of the Enyimba International Hotel Limited, a 250-room, five-star hospitality facility in Aba. The project, to be developed by Radisson Blu Group, was announced on Monday by the Commissioner for Information, Okey Kanu, while briefing journalists at Government House Umuahia on the outcome of the State Executive Council meeting presided over by the governor. Kanu said the hotel aligns with the state’s industrial transformation agenda, with a strategic focus on growing the hospitality industry. He disclosed that the Abia State Government has already signed a…
Ike Nnachi, Abakaliki Governor Francis Nwifuru has announced the relaxation of the curfew earlier imposed on Amasiri Autonomous Community in Ebonyi State following a protracted boundary dispute. He, however, vowed that all suspects arrested in connection with the violence would be prosecuted. He stated this at a media briefing after a State Security Council meeting held on Tuesday at the Government House in Abakaliki, the state capital. The governor said the council reviewed developments in the crisis involving Amasiri, Okporojo, and Akpoha communities. He disclosed that after assessing ongoing investigations and security reports, the council agreed to adjust the 20-hour…
Stephen Ukandu, Umuahia Former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili, on Tuesday joined protesters at the National Assembly, intensifying calls for the compulsory inclusion of real-time electronic transmission of election results in the Electoral Act Amendment Bill, 2026. Appearing on the fourth day of the demonstration, Ezekwesili cautioned lawmakers against what she described as “dangerous ambiguities” in the proposed legislation, warning that discretionary clauses could undermine electoral credibility. “I have been particularly loud in stating that if the Senate gets away with a provision that is ambiguous—one that gives discretion to determine the ifs and buts, instead of making it mandatory—that…
Stephen Ukandu, Umuahia The House of Representatives on Tuesday witnessed a rowdy session after nearly two hours of closed-door deliberations, as lawmakers revisited the Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill 2025 and insisted on a clause-by-clause consideration of the controversial legislation ahead of the 2027 general elections. The House had earlier resolved to rescind its December 2025 passage of the bill to correct inconsistencies and unintended consequences identified by a harmonisation committee comprising leaders of both chambers, members of the conference committee, clerks of the Senate and House of Representatives, and legal experts from the National Assembly’s Directorate of Legal Services. Moving…
Our Reporter, Abuja with abc NEWS The Rev. Jesse Jackson, pioneering civil rights leader, Baptist minister and two-time Democratic presidential candidate, has died at 84, his family announced Tuesday. “Our father was a servant leader — not only to our family, but to the oppressed, the voiceless and the overlooked around the world,” the family said, urging supporters to continue his fight for justice and equality. Jackson is survived by his wife of more than six decades, Jacqueline Jackson, and six children. A protégé of Martin Luther King Jr., Jackson rose to national prominence during the civil rights movement, participating…
Our Reporter, Abuja African Democratic Congress (ADC) chieftain, and former Labour Party 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has criticised President Bola Ahmed Tinubu over reported plans to power the Presidential Villa with solar energy, describing the move as troubling amid Nigeria’s lingering electricity crisis. In a statement posted on his verified X handle on Monday, Obi recalled a campaign promise attributed to Tinubu in which he said: “If I do not provide steady electricity in four years, do not vote for me for a second tenure.” Obi noted that 32 months into the administration, many Nigerians were still contending with…
Our Reporter, Abuja A coalition of survivors and families of alleged victims in Kaduna State on Monday called for a comprehensive investigation into what it described as widespread abuses during the administration of former Governor Nasir El-Rufai between 2015 and 2023. In a statement issued in Abuja and Kaduna, the group, operating under the banner “Kaduna Victims’ Coalition,” said it represents individuals, families and communities who endured “hardship, terror, fear and loss” during the eight-year tenure. The coalition said its membership cuts across community and business leaders, serving and retired public servants, traditional rulers, faith leaders, academics, journalists and lawyers.…
…Victims’ family members recount ordeal, solicit govt’s assistance …Otti promises help Stephen Ukandu, Umuahia It was a black Saturday in Umuahia, Abia State, as 14 guests returning from a traditional marriage and wedding ceremony in Enugu perished in a tragic auto crash. They were returning from a marriage ceremony at Amagunze, Nkanu, in Enugu State when the coaster bus conveying them collided head-on with an articulated vehicle (trailer) along the Enugu–Port Harcourt Expressway. The tragedy occurred around 6 p.m. near the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ozalla, a few metres away from the popular 4-Corner Junction. Various accounts said 12…
Ben Ezechime, Enugu No fewer than 27,848 graduates of the Institute of Management and Technology (IMT), Enugu, will participate in an eight-year combined convocation ceremony. The Rector of IMT, Prof. Gozie Ogbodo, disclosed this at a pre-convocation press briefing for the 43rd to 50th consolidated convocation, as well as an art and technological innovation exhibition, on Monday in Enugu. Ogbodo said the eight-year consolidated convocation, scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 21, at the International Conference Centre, IMT Enugu, covers graduates of the institution from 2018 to 2025. He noted that Gov. Peter Mbah, top government officials, and other distinguished academic scholars…