By Our Reporter
The Enugu State Commissioner for Agriculture, Mr Mathew Idu has said that an agricultural revolution aimed at ensuring food security has begun in the state.
Idu said this during the inaugration of farmers’ cooperative societies made up of no fewer than 1,200 rural farmers in Isi-Uzo Local Government Area of the state.
The commissioner said that the farmers were being supported by a notable industrialist, Alhaji Sani Nnaji through his foundation.
He said that the Alhaji Sani Nnaji Foundation was into aggressive food production and was notable for empowering farmers with agricultural inputs.
The commissioner commended the foundation for introducing commercial farming in the state which he said would boost food production and security in the South East.
Idu appealed to Nnaji to replicate the same feat in all the remaining 16 local government areas of the state.
The commissioner assured the farmers that they would not only receive farm inputs and herbicides but would also have a ready market for their farm produce.
Earlier, Nnaji, a Zamfara-based industrialist said that his foundation would provide 75 per cent funding of the farmers’ agricultural activities while the farmers would provide the remaining 25 per cent.
He appealed to the state ministry of agriculture to assist the farmers with tractors and extension workers.
“I have successfully done this same thing for 20 years in Zamfara and Jigawa states and I am optimistic that we shall succeed in Isi-Uzo”, Nnaji said.
The highlight of the event was the distribution of motorcycles to 26 coordinators for effective monitoring of the farmers and their farmlands covering all the 21 autonomous communities in the area.