Ben Ezechime, Enugu
The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) has condemned the Anambra State Government for shutting down the Anambra State-owned National Light Newspapers without any reasonable excuses.
The Chairman NUJ Anambra State Council, Dr. Emeka Odogwu, said this in Enugu while speaking to Journalists.
He said that the latest move remained an open ill-treatment of journalists by the Gov. Chukwuma Soludo-led administration.
According to Odogwu, the latest move also portrayed his government as one without human face.
“We frown at the reckless manner in which the National Light Newspapers issue is being handled and call on the staff to be absorbed in the Ministry of Information as anything contrary to the welfare of workers shall boomerang.
“The NUJ cannot understand why Soludo’s government was busy employing other workers but cannot allow less than 100 workers at National Light Newspaper be, even if he does not want to hire more workers or turn around the organisation.
“NUJ seriously appeals for understanding of the government on the issue since it’s needless making lists of people in NUJ’s 2023 Hall of Infamy.
“We are calling on journalists across Nigeria and the world to stand up against the injustice against workers at National Light Newspapers who have committed no offence,” he said.
Odogwu, however, said that he reliably gathered that the purported letter shutting down the state-owned newspaper had been covertly handed to a top management official of the outfit on July 20.
However, in his reaction, Chief Paul Nwosu, Anambra State’s Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, denied such a directive to allegedly close the newspaper outfit.
“I am not aware of what he is saying. What you are saying is new to me.
“If government wants to shut down such an establishment, there will be an official public statement on it.
“As at the last State Executive Council meeting we did not discuss any issue concerning the National Light Newspaper,” he said.