…Gov to re-present budget, re-absorb commissioners who resigned
Stephen Ukandu, Umuahia
The political crisis rocking Rivers State appears to have been laid to rest following the intervention of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who convened a meeting at Aso Rock on Monday where the gladiators were reconciled.
Some of the critical stakeholders present at the Aso Rock reconciliatory meeting were Gov. Siminalayi Fubara; his political godfather and Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike; the former Governor of the state, Sir Peter Odili.
Present at the meeting also were the Vice President, Kashim Shettima, and the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila.
Others were the Deputy Governor, Prof. Ngozi Odu; the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu; Speaker, Rivers State House of Assembly, Amaewhule; PDP Chairman, Rivers State, Aaron Chukwuemeka; and APC Chairman, Rivers State, Tony Okocha; among others from both Rivers State and the Presidential Villa.
At the meeting, it was resolved that Gov. Fubara would re-present the 2024 budget earlier passed by the four-member faction of the State House of Assembly, to the full House.
Fubara and his team were also, directed to immediately withdraw all matters instituted in the court in respect of the political crisis in Rivers State.
Recall that the crisis led to the polarisation of the State House of Assembly as 27 pro-Wike lawmakers resigned their membership of the ruling PDP, and defected to the APC.
They had already initiated moves to impeach Gov. Fubara even as the four pro-Fubara lawmakers had declared the seats of the 27 decampee members vacant.
No fewer than nine Commissioners loyal to Wike had already resigned their appointments.
Some far-reaching resolutions were reached at the end of the crucial meeting convened at the instance of President Tinubu.
Wike, is believed to have financed the emergence of Fubara and most of the lawmakers, as well as the members of the State Executive Council.
Below is the 8-point resolution obtained by Ikengaonline:
- ALL matters instituted in the courts by the Governor of Rivers State, Sir Fubara, and his team, in respect of the political crisis in Rivers State, shall be withdrawn IMMEDIATELY.
- ALL impeachment proceedings initiated against the Governor of Rivers State by the Rivers State House of Assembly should be dropped immediately.
- The leadership of the Rivers State House of Assembly as led by the Martin Amaewhule shall be recognised alongside the 27 members who resigned from the PDP.
- The remunerations and benefits of ALL members of the Rivers State House of Assembly and their staff must be reinstated immediately and the Governor of Rivers State shall henceforth not interfere with the full funding of the Rivers State House of Assembly.
- The Rivers State House of Assembly shall choose where they want to sit and conduct their legislative business without interference and/or hindrance from the Executive arm of government.
- The Governor of Rivers State, Sir Fubara, shall re-present the state budget to a properly constituted Rivers State House of Assembly.
- The names of ALL commissioners in the Rivers State Executive Council who resigned their appointments because of the political crisis in the state should be resubmitted to the House of Assembly for approval.
- There should NOT be a caretaker committee for the local governments in Rivers State. The dissolution of the Local Government administration is null and void and shall not be recognis